Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-10, 12:36   Link #855
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It’s hard not to see the connection down through the years between those two young boys on the back of “Brian”, standing on that lonely rock on the moon, and the two brothers who memorized every presentation at JAXA and impressed a young (and coiffed) Hoshika-san. This series is as much about those boys as the men they became – about their dreams and their passions which led them to risk their lives to pursue them. It would be disingenuous, in my view, to frame the series as Mutta’s chronicle without sharing the story of the other elder brother who inspired his otouto to pursue his dreams, only to see himself surpassed.
The parallel between the two sets of brother is indeed hard to miss. I would be interested in finding out Eddie's story, but I think it might be better left to the imagination. The reason he was surpassed by his brother is probably very simple: he was simply not as exceptional as his brother was. Effort and passion cannot get you everywhere, you need something more, which he lacked. Both of the Nanba brothers, however, seems to possess that "spark" that separates them from "normal" individuals. This episode made that very clear about Mutta.

Personally, I'd be more interested in learning how Eddie felt about his brother's accomplishments, rather than the reason he was left behind.