View Single Post
Old 2008-04-28, 22:28   Link #67
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Are they still doing that? Do you have any links to that effect?
I got one approximately 3 years ago when I was still operating a small-time online shop with my overseas partner importing Macross-related goods (along with other stuff). It was sent to my E-mail as a warning. Three years aren't terribly long ago, that was around the time of Mac Zero.

That, and Bandai threatened to take away licenses from Japanese retailers if they paid even a cent to HG as royalties.

Quote:
That seems to be true only to a degree; the problems with Do You Remember Love and Macross 7 have been rumored to be more due to a high asking price than any legal wrangling.
DYRL made it to the states, but dubbed as 'Clash of the Bionoids'. Its horrible quality regardless, the fact that it already made it meant it could be remastered as a DVD release in the US, uncut. I am sure the fact that it wasn't might have something to do with HG. Moreover, the original version also saw release in Europe.

Besides, who is asking for the high price? Certainly not Big West/Bandai & associated parties. Macross PLUS and MACROSS II all made it to the states without much trouble until their popularity made HG smack down the sledgehammer. Obviously, if it wasn't for HG's meddling, Macross 7 or ZERO might have made it to the states a long, LONG time ago.

Robotech's original Japanese licenser never gave HG more rights than merely broadcasting the show, but Robotech became a different animal clearly due to negligence and legal loopholes.

Quote:
Tak, you have to realize that of Harmony Gold's continuance of the Robotech story effectively makes it a very different animal from the Macross universe.
Whatever they want to do with ROBOTECH is their problem, just STOP F*CKING AROUND with Macross, and LEAVE IT BE.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2008-04-28 at 22:43.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote