View Single Post
Old 2012-07-18, 13:02   Link #1103
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Really?

I'm hardly the biggest KyoAni-lover on this site (I've had plenty of critical comments about them in recent months and years), but you're drastically downplaying the quality of their Key adaptation work, imo.

They may not be downright infallible at it, but they're incredibly good at it.

So, no, it's not "very possible" that another studio and development team could surpass them. I honestly think you're doing a real disservice to KyoAni in making it sound so easy to surpass them. It's not. It's very hard simply to match KyoAni (when it comes to good adaptation work), let alone surpass them.

The initial reaction to JC Staff handling Little Busters! was probably a bit too harsh and negative, but now it's starting to swing to the other extreme. We'll be fortunate (and I'll be pleased) if JC Staff does 90% as good a job with LB! as KyoAni did with Clannad. To think that more than that is "very possible" is people just setting themselves up to be disappointed, imo.

Cautious and reasonable optimism is what's best here, imo. Not this pie in the sky "They'll surpass KyoAni!" thinking.
Totoum is correct in that I didn't infer that its easy to surpass KyoAni when it comes to adaptations. I'm just sick and tired of people making absolute claims about how great and infallible KyoAni is and how they are the de facto choice when adapting visual novels.

Now, I haven't seen many anime adapted from VNs, but I found Bee Train's Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom to be very good, and White Fox's Steins;Gate was better than all the Key-KyoAni anime projects. And as someone who played the Clannad VN before watching the anime, I had my own share of complaints as to how KyoAni handled the adaptation. And Ishihara's directing style is, well, rather mellow and unsensational. He's good for his consistency, at least. (These are all opinions!)

And on the topic of animation, KyoAni is hardly king. They are remarkably good and well-rounded, but I've found BONES, Madhouse, P.A. Works, Sunrise, and Brains Base to meet or exceed their animation standards.

Given the right circumstances, with a great staff and great animators, I can see another studio surpassing KyoAni at adapting a Key work. It hasn't happened yet, but it has happened for manga adaptations in the past. I'm not saying Little Busters will be this, or even that it has a good chance of being like this, but I don't want KyoAni to be viewed as infallible, because they aren't in the least.

Edit: I realize that this post has a lot of thread-derailing potential, so if you have some response that isn't related to Little Busters, J.C. Staff, or VN adaptations, such as the quality of KyoAni's animation, please respond to me via VM or PM. Thanks.

Last edited by Tempester; 2012-07-18 at 13:27.