View Single Post
Old 2012-09-16, 23:22   Link #24
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Actually you're quite right but I do believe there's always room for improvement.
The problem is - when a person sees himself on a moral high ground, do you think he will listen to suggestions for "improvement"?

Quote:
This is where we have to agree to disagree because I do mind the insults. I understand why people would call out on me, and I have to accept the fact that some people are just like that and I also usually take it with humor, but at the end of the day I simply do mind. I don't go emo or hate on anyone for it but I just don't find it good and I mostly mean those that would not apologize after you gently talked to them. And most my cases did not end up with an apology so I guess I got the short end of the stick.
It depends where you are from actually. In SEA we have different races mixed and matched over and over again that I would say the local Chinese here don't exactly consider themselves to be "pure" Chinese in terms of culture, therefore we are more tolerant to other people from other races, even the ang mohs (red-heads, slang term for Westerners). In places like US where xenophobia runs high, not much can be done.

Heck, we are even desensitised to racist jokes : there is this 3rd gen angmoh I served with who called one of the laziest people in my unit a "chink in our defence line" for sleeping on guard duty, and that guy casually replied that "the white man gives us away under the cover of darkness and is a waste of camo paint". It eventually "degenerated" into a humourous exchange of racial slurs (the black Indian guy not needing camo paint, the Malay guy needing to avoid wild boars, etc) then made all of us laugh into the night (and having the whole squad signing extras).

Race maybe yes, but most I have met (even those from Mainland who have been here for years) say that they feel "ashamed" to be a Chinese when a loudmouthed mainlander espouses the superiority of the "Chinese race".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote