View Single Post
Old 2013-10-16, 15:17   Link #7179
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc0716 View Post
Planning to get some albums at the end of this month, however one of the albums I want (probably) is Hybrid SACD instead of conventional CDs I got so far.

Will I able to open & rip (by using WMP) the SACD with my laptop like normal audio CDs, without any major problems?
If they are Hybrid SACD then yes, you'll very likely be able to open then on regular CD/DVD players like any normal CD but you will only have access to the legacy redbook tracks and not the higher quality SACD tracks. According to wikipedia:

Quote:
Objective lenses in conventional CD players have a longer working distance, or focal length, than lenses designed for SACD players. This means that when a hybrid SACD is placed into a conventional CD player, the laser beam passes the high-resolution layer and is reflected by the conventional layer at the standard 1.2 mm distance, and the high-density layer is out of focus. When the disc is placed into an SACD player, the laser is reflected by the high-resolution layer (at 0.6 mm distance) before it can reach the conventional layer. Conversely, if a conventional CD is placed into an SACD player, the laser will read the disc as a CD since there is no high-resolution layer.
IMHO, unless you have a SACD player and a good sound system already, springing the extra cash for them isn't worth it.