Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-19, 21:26   Link #16619
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
@1 : there's nothing stopping them from having DVD or even BD quality streams. Youtube has been doing it for years.

@2: Then should put those dvds onto streaming...

I don't even see why someone want to wait the several days required for a DVD, when more illicit methods can give you the movie in question in a matter of hours, or even minutes (If you're lucky to have such a godly line).

Long term, netflix's DVD service is DOOMED.
You obviously don't live in the US where "streaming" sucks for half the population and they have draconian usage caps

We only have time to watch a movie or two a week. DVD/Blu-ray mailers work perfectly for us. Instant gratification not necessary. We do stream on occasion but where we live there *is*no*land*internet better than 26.4kbps and we're only a mile or so from a major Intel Corp. facility. We're in a "telco/cable shadow" -- much of the US lives in this sort of mess. Until that is rectified, there is a huge market for DVD mailers.

I use a wireless ISP... its fine for gaming and file - ddl (anime mostly) but it is only 3mb/sec though we're working with them to improve that.

We stream on occasion... but even with buffers set to max, it stutters occasionally (please stand by).

Here's an excellent analysis of Netflix
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/netflix