View Single Post
Old 2011-05-03, 20:38   Link #4
Haladflire65
*Artist

I just find that subtle racism is existent in places where people claim to be so accepting. For example, I'm at a nice school in Canada, Toronto, supposedly one of the most multicultural cities in the world. Even here, all the teachers are white except for the Mandarin teacher and one other teacher who is Indian, and people make pretty racist implications without even realizing it. Examples of comments directed towards Asians (our school is pretty much half-Asian): "Oh, you're so Asian." "What an Asian fail!" "You're Asian, how come you're bad at math?" "Oh, you only got 100% on that test because you're Asian." These remarks might seem funny or amusing to some people but I find them really offensive, stereotypical and annoying. So if I'm Asian, you're not going give me any credit for studying hard for a test?

It actually felt so good to go to school in Korea and Japan, I'm Asian like everyone else and nobody comments on it... *sigh* Maybe that would be the only way for me to feel comfortable and not discriminated against - to just move back home or settle in Tokyo again

At the same time, there are times Caucasians are targets of racism too, aren't there? As we know Japan is very xenophobic and they only recently stopped using the offensive term 'gaijin' (outsider) for foreigners, Westerners in particular.