View Single Post
Old 2006-01-22, 03:08   Link #61
Edaindil

For me, FMP as a whole picked up from the beginning of Fumoffu. I enjoyed a lot of the character development and it was comical. The first series started headstrong and I ignored a lot of the technical terms they used as I didn't really understand them until later in the anime. I felt like watching a bad version of Evangelion because I was a bit confused. The dialogue for the first series was laughable too. In fumoffu, the "Sagara is stupid" is over played, but it can also be over looked.
Anyways, TSR really fixed all the problems of the first series and turned out as everyone said, wonderfully. I actually just finished it this afternoon, so I guess I'm a late comer. The high point for me was when Tessa lectured Colonel Mardukas because as she was saying it, she didn't know how wrong she was because Sagara was about to have a total break down. However, everything was ok when chidori showed up, but the climax was definietly there.

Obviously, the story doesn't end... and I wished it would have ended too because long animes become bad animes. However, TSR left enough bait for many of us to look forward to the next installment (it better be soon!).

I have a few question though
Do you guys think it's an anime about love, or cool robots fighting? Or is the author trying to do a mix of it? Personally, I think full metal panic is fully a love story. The robots are just a theme that superficially skins the emotional significance of the story. For episode 13, all the enemies died pretty quickly without much trouble, it was sorta anti-dramatic if you think about it. But I felt satisfied because the love story took a huge step forward as both main female characters confessed their love in their own way. It's as though the author is jsut simply trying to tell us a story about a love triangle and that's it...

Also, I feel that the love triangle is not necessary anymore. I feel that it's getting too complicated and if the writers push it a bit more, I don't think they can recover the story and they would end up bs'ing the ending. Personally, I would like chidori to end up with sagara because a captain and a soldier is inappropriate and it seems sagara likes Tessa as a friend. I'm interested as to hear your perspectives.

The biggest problem I have with Full metal panic is Sagara and his behavior in civilian world... I have never seen a undercover soldier so not undercover... he brings weapons, bio-chemical gas, bombs... and yet school mates dismiss it as him being a war fanatic... and chidori gets mad at him when he's out fighting; I think chidori should know exactly what he's doing when he's not at school. But I guess I just have to suspend my disbelieve.

Sorry for the long post, I just thought the anime was very interesting, but I feel elfen lied was better as it was short and concise, and clear in plot and direction.