View Single Post
Old 2007-12-10, 13:42   Link #3
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
According to JA wikipedia, it's actually the other way around. Visual novels are a subset of Adventure games.
Ah, yeah - that makes sense. So technically speaking, all Visual Novels are Adventure games -- now things will just get even more confusing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
Whether the text appears over the background, or in a box at the bottom, seems to be the main criteria I've seen people use to differentiate the two, but does it really make a difference? I generally call them Visual novels myself, since it's visual, and it tells a story like a novel.
Yeah, that's the way I see it too. To the uninitiated, it adequately describes what sets it apart from other video games, whether the text is at the bottom or on top of the whole background. As the JP wiki articles says, it's an industry distinction, but it's really not that important to the rest of us.

Question: Would we be better off if this thread were "What Visual Novels are your favourites at the moment?" We've often talked about non-ero games and consumer adaptations in the thread anyway, and I don't think whether or not a game has ero content is really the deciding issue for most of the games we're discussing here. Does that make sense?
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote