View Single Post
Old 2011-08-23, 12:05   Link #9
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
That's an interesting limitation. What exactly is the moral and/or legal difference between a "real" fansub of a "still technically licensed but no longer distributed" show and a DVD-rip of the same? As far as I know (as an internet layman lawyer) there is no difference in the eyes of the law, at least.
There's certainly no legal difference, just as there's no real legal difference for any fansubs (it's all completely illegal). I think the guideline is simply "it has to be your subs", and we apply that globally. (That guideline is what basically blocks all rips and re-encodes.)

I think it's possible that an exception could be made if there were a case where the licensed DVD was no longer available, and those were the only subs for the show around (short of re-translating from scratch)... but I don't think we'll run into such a case for shows produced in the last decade, as there should be fansubs around for all of them. I heard of a case at one point where a group was taking some old no-longer-available show from LaserDisc and editing the original subs for the digital fansub. I suppose (theoretically at least) that we would probably list such a thing.

Incidentally, to the topic proper, I noticed that Funimation recently announced the license expiration for a number of additional Geneon shows.