View Single Post
Old 2011-08-31, 08:04   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
So far the only confirmation of titles Funimation is letting expire are Higurashi and Familiar of Zero. Both titles have been removed from the licensed list.

As for the others, I don't know their current status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Incidentally, to the topic proper, I noticed that Funimation recently announced the license expiration for a number of additional Geneon shows.
I think this statement from Funimation's Sophie constitutes official confirmation that these licenses have expired:

Quote:
Our license has expired on the below list of rescued Geneon shows, and the product sell-off period has ended. As far as I know there are no plans to re-acquire these titles. The show pages and all content are no longer available for the below list of shows on this site.

* Paradise Kiss
* Kamichu
* Kyo Kara Maoh
* The Story of Saiunkoku
* The Law of Ueki
* When They Cry
Might I nominate these shows as potential candidates for restoration to the main AS list?

We also have this reported comment from Sophie about two other titles:

Quote:
After consulting Sophie on FUNimation's forums about Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon, she confirmed to me that they still have the licenses to both properties and do intend to re-release them, "but not for a while."
I'd guess we'll see Black Lagoon again when the OVA is released.

From what I've read, a lot of this mess is a consequence of the merger of Universal Japan and Geneon. Some titles apparently need relicensing since they are now owned by the merged entity.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-08-31 at 08:24.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote