View Single Post
Old 2012-08-13, 08:44   Link #54
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
No more blackmailing then? Even if it's for the greater good? Seriously, he's like a Batman of the group. Playing the "left hand" numerous times.
I would say that blackmailing is one of Houtarou's talents.

It's funny how the guy that got so upset with Irisu is proving to be very much like her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Take note that the nature of society is fundamentally egalitarian.
I think that might be putting it a bit too strongly. Our legal system is fundamentally egalitarian, and that is indeed for the best. Equal before the law, equal rights, etc... that's all great. That helps ensures that a basic sense of fairness and respect for others permeates society, and makes us more likely to frown on things like cheating.

But you can take egalitarianism too far - It should be balanced with respect for individualism. Beyond that, there's the old saying of "Variety is the spice of life". And you can only have variety with differences, and you can't have differences if everybody is completely equal in every way.

Certain equalities should be insisted upon, such as legal equality. But certain inequalities gives society color and flavor. Without that, we wouldn't have wondrous spectacles like the Olympics. Great talent in the hands of a fortunate few often makes for great stories, as we see with Michael Phelps.

Quote:
While I don't deny that the inequality that dominates society can be beneficial in certain aspects, the fact is that society, especially in capitalist cultures, is highly competitive. It's a cutthroat environment where individual differences can go a long way in determining one's place in society. Those who have the talent tend to rise while those who don't are left gazing upwards. This is the "reality" that exists in society today, one that each individual is powerless against.

Before anyone labels my views as pessimistic, I'm only expressing the idea in the way I felt the show wanted to portray it.
No, I don't think what you wrote is pessimistic. It's just reality.

I don't see a problem in "gazing upwards" from time to time. It's nice to have heroes, in my opinion. And while it's even nicer to be a hero, that tends to bring added responsibility to it, so there is a cost to great talent. The more Houtarou uses his talent, the more he's forced to accept how a normal life may not be the one for him. A normal life is not without its charms - Speaking personally, I'm not sure I'd want the sort of pressure on my shoulders that Michael Phelps had to carry into the most recent Olympics.