Thread: Miracle Girls
View Single Post
Old 2004-01-23, 17:34   Link #12
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru
Tangen, probably you're aware of this, but think I should mention it anyway.

The entire Miracle Girls series has been fansubbed (as traditional fansubs, on tape).

This means your group doesn't need to do all the work again. Specially for episodes 1-14 and 29-46 you can get fully translated and timed scripts available for download on the net.

Episodes 1-14 are the original Arctic Animation with additional work from NT-Anime and Group Hooseki. Episodes 29 to 46 are original Group Hooseki translations, done by Spazum, that has an extensive knowledge of Japanese, having lived in Japan for several years.

You can get these files for download from Script Club . You'll need to register, but it's free.

Scripts for episodes 15 to 28 aren't available for download, as far as I know, but Arctic Animation did fansubbed these episodes and you can get tapes of those on traditional fansubbers distributors. I recommend Sachi , as they're also a great fansubber (they've fansubbed To Heart, Tenshi ni Narumon, Hana Yori Dango, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and more), but you also try other sources (like Soyokaze ).

Now, Arctic Animation didn't have the best of reputations, but I'd say they did a decent job with Miracle Girls.... And episodes 1-14 have been reworked by NT-Anime and Group Hooseki that were some of the best fansub groups of the past. With episodes 29-46, you can bet they'll be high quality, as they were translated by Spazum.
While your suggestion may be a good one, generally just because a script has been released to the public for consumption does not mean the group welcomes its use on other fansubs. I don't really represent Aikousha (though I am the editor for their Miracle Girls), but most respectable groups are hesitant to use VHS subbers' scripts without explicit permission from the creators of said scripts. It's simple politeness. Thus, in order for us to use these scripts we'd need to get in touch with people from Arctic, NT-Anime, and Group Hooseki -- a rather difficult proposition -- and persuade them to grant us permission to do these subs. Some groups do manage this (Anime_Daisuki's Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne uses reworked scripts from Sachi, for example), but it's still rather difficult to pull off, especially in cases where the old subbers are no longer active.

Furthermore, just because their scripts are timed does not mean they are timed appropriately for our medium; they also almost certainly don't meet modern editing standards. The required quality for a fansub release has gone up significantly in the past few years, and just using a VHS script will yield a release that, by today's standards, is considered quite subpar. Thus, we'd still have to re-time and re-edit any scripts we got from script club. That's not to mention the need for translation checks (which are quite important when you're using a script of questionable origin for your release). We'd still be doing most of the work, so it wouldn't be a great benefit to us.

But anyway, before I ramble even longer, let me summarize: It's one thing to use scripts when you have the permission of the group who worked on them to use them. It's a whole other thing when you just go in and appropriate them without asking. Thus, for Aikousha, using the existing scripts is probably not an option.