View Single Post
Old 2013-05-13, 18:48   Link #71
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Not to mention i might say it would be a little much for both Doflamingo AND an admiral to be taken down in the same arc. I kinda think that if any admiral might fall to show Luffy's advancement, it might be kizaru... much like how after the time skip the strawhats fought the same pacifistas that they struggled against before the time skip, Luffy may have to fight against Kizaru, the guy who forced the entire crew into retreat, to show how much he has grown... Its basically a something of a destined rematch.

Eh, really Kizaru didn't do much to Luffy pre-skip. If anything, I'd still say Zoro should take a crack at him since he was closest to being killed by that particular admiral. Otherwise, Luffy's pretty much got dibs on Akainu for more obvious reasons.

And besides, Kizaru seems to have a sort of pattern where he fights the first mates of powerful crews, anyway (Rayleigh, Marco).

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
He had no real set-up, he is a new face and new name (to us), so just like any other stock villain for a story arc (of which this arc is already jam packed full of), he can rise or fall based on how useful he could be later in the story. His fall now could greatly enhance the current story and the future plot (similar to Ace spending a 100 chapters looking for Blackbeard, then spending another 100 chapters waiting for war), or he could survive only to fall later (not all opponents must be defeated before the end, but several monumental events must transpire, and an Admiral falling is just one of many).

The fact that Fujitora had little build-up so far is exactly the reason why I don't see him falling now. Sudden introduction or not, the man is still an admiral, and the fact that he is one means he has too much story weight to be toppled so soon, IMO. At least Dofla, as already mentioned, already had hundreds of chapters to establish himself as the menacing entity that he is. So while I agree that he is ripe for the picking, I can't say the same for the blind old man. He needs some time to be active and marinate with the story's flow before it's finally time for him to go down (and even then, it's not guaranteed that the Straw-Hats will have a final battle against him since he seems to be more of a neutral party like Aokiji). IMO, it would be plain sloppy writing on Oda's part to introduce a new admiral just for him to get fodderized in his debut arc......