View Single Post
Old 2007-09-28, 04:07   Link #5
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Anyone who bothered to read my previous comments probably know what to expect from my general overview of season number two. Without a doubt - it is very negative.

General impression of the series.

Very disappointing. Surely from the very beginning once I heard that it will be another 12 pathetically short season that will try to grab even more volumes than season one did, while being shorter.

But I didnt knew that it will be SO bad.

Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.

It has very little real ZnT story just some jumping from one filler to another, giving us same lame perverted jokes without any consistency. It rushed from one end to another without giving at least one real direction.

Original novels are done so much better that it seems its almost a crime to compare those two, as it had the direction, had its own style that was not necessary based on repettative perverted jokes. Surely it sometimes also went overboard with fanservice but it never was nearly as bad as in anime.

What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better.

Everything? Well not really it had a few quite enjoyable scenes, yet the incredibly short length hurt the anime too much. Not to mention that the bigger half of the season was wasted on fillers or not really important sub-plots. Leaving only 4-5 episodes for 5 volumes of novels (as a original main story and plot). Thats kind of short considering that usually it takes 20-24 episodes for 4 volumes of a novel.

It should have been 24-26 episodes long at least, so that even with such talentless director as now, it wouldnt hurt so much. Or they could have cut all fillers out and reduced sub-plots like Agnes arc severely so it could give more focus on main character development and war itself.

Now all we have gotten some untalentated director jumping from one scene to another just because they look good or have fanservice forgetiing in between, and also forgetting the main plot line along the way. Thus leaving "jumpy" and rushed scenes in the very end.

Animation Quality: 7

Nothing fantastic but nothing that would make you cringe every second. I also watched Kaze No Stigma at the same time which for the bigger part had twice as bad animation (improved only in the end) thus this judgement isnt very precise.

Voice Actors: 8

Rie is still great. At least that.

Script: 2

Plainly bad... The best scenes were as a rule the ones that were left more or less unchained from original, while completely original scenes were rather plain, lame and repetative (perverted saito jokes, and Louise explodes on Saito endings are the best examples of those as they were not present in original source).

Editing: 3

bad work in general...They couldnt really work with original material that had a specific style of smoothly going from sad scenes to comedy ones. The jumps between sad and comedy scenes in anime felt out of place and were ruining the mood be it tragical or comical (best example - the ending of the last episode, really badly done).

Emotional Involvement: 5

Nothing much to add there.. i usually was rather bored during this season. The biggest exitement were - A) how much they will screw up novels this time and B) will it be Louise-explodes-on-Saito ending or something else (which was pretty rare).

It is stll Zero No Tsukaima so it has some specifical features that are attractive enough to be interested, but it was way too little. More so this eason felt like a filler episode season where the main role took a side character (Agnes) more often than the real main ones (Louise and Saito).

Total Series Rating: 5

It a below average for me. So far there have been only a little reviews that I read in japanese (didnt had much time to search) but 5 and 6 were the most common marks written for this season as I have noticed. So i will stay with majority and say that it was only an average or below average season.

I wouldn't recommend it to watch for anyone. Unless you have a lots of time to kill. But then again, there are much more better animes this year to waste your time on than this weak season. Or if you have really lots of time - just go and read novels. You will have much better time.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2007-09-28 at 19:03.