View Single Post
Old 2012-05-15, 08:12   Link #70
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Surely my opinion is that starting a series/romance with a reciprocal love is never a good idea. You writer have to be really good to not let it down at some point. In this case Kagura was a really good antagonist, but they screwed it (at least so far)
It's not necessarily a bad idea. Thing is, with any kind of romance that's meant to be dragged out through an entire series, be it 13 or 26 eps long, you have to work on it. Which means, having the characters interact regularly, create some difficulties, introducing some conflict, having the characters work out the conflict, etc. In Evol the writers created some difficulties (for Amata, anyway: Mikono's whole appreciative but vague behavior), introduced some conflict, but then avoided the hell out of the characters discussing it or trying to work it out in any way for no reason other than it wouldn't have been convenient for the writers. They were pushed into the background way too often and weren't shown to interact in a significant way, and when they did it often had the subtlety and grace of a rhino, see the whole "randomly worried about Kagura" scene that came after long episodes of them not even thinking about Kagura. (Though this, again, is something that plagues the entire story.) Which is not to say they didn't have incredbly cute and sweet scenes, too, but those were few and far between. :/ In the meanwhile they weren't even doing anything as main characters, most of the time.* And this is just Amata & Mikono, I haven't even touched on Zessica and Kagura.

Ah well, we don't know what they're planning so we might as well wait and see. I really, really hope they'll finally focus on the main four, what with the reincarnation game finally drawing to a close. And I'm pretty sure there are going to be some huge twists here and there (definitely about the reincarnations). But I'm worried that the fact that they couldn't get Mix(y) back will just keep Andy in the focus. :/

*(Especially poor Amata, and this is where it gets really irritating for me. Because if he was actually useless (wangsty, mopey, cowardly, etc.) that would be one thing, but he's not, he would be perfectly capable of doing stuff that the other characters do, and yet he's been rarely ever given the opportunity, god only knows why. Well, I do know - the writers' inability to handle the cast.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I could accept either as a romantic "game-changer"... as long as it's handled well, of course. One good thing is that if either or both ends up being a "game-changer", at least the narrative has already made a big deal out of both (and have had the characters make a big deal out of both - as demonstrated by Zessica/Amata focusing so much on this reincarnation/"fated lovers" thing and by "Black Hole" Andy's response to Mix-y ).
Well yeah, but making a big deal out of something doesn't necessarily mean actual development. :/ As much as the "fated lovers" thing was made into a big deal, Kagura and Mikono had one (1) scene of actual, meaningful interaction in 20 eps. I suppose there will be some more in future eps, but... yeah.

Anyway, I agree that if they want to do anything with the romance aspect they need to start doing it now. :/

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-05-15 at 08:38.