View Single Post
Old 2012-09-30, 12:15   Link #466
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
As much as I respect the man's intent, he is too forgiving. As if the Chinese (most likely government) who caused this to become an international issue in the first place would listen to him. I agree with him that Japan shouldn't retaliate, but it should not hesitate to point out facts and condemn the criminal idiocy that is going on.
I don't know how much you are brain washed to be an anti-Chinese warrior, but at least get your fact straight. Ever since the fare-up in 2010 calmed down, it was pretty peaceful last year. The current mess was first brought up by Ishihara and his agenda to buy the islands. The Chinese policy was to shelf the dispute, but it was impossible in both situations (to prosecute the Chinese captain using Japanese law in 2010, and to buy the islands this year), there is no space to maneuver for the Chinese except direct confrontation.

As a comparison, previously when a Chinese boat strayed to the islands, the Japanese will confiscate the boat or put a fine, but the people on it would be deported immediately. This way, both sides save face, the Japanese can say they did guard the territory, the Chinese will put out some empty words as protest and say they fulfilled its obligation to protect the Chinese citizen since they get the people back. But what's different was there was a new party in Tokyo. Track record of this party now includes failed campaign promise to move the US base, bend over to Chinese pressure in 2010, and blown up nuclear reactors in 2011. Oh yes, let's not forget a finance minister who killed himself and an ambassador who died mysteriously before taking his position. I expect a lot more for this party in the future.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote