View Single Post
Old 2009-11-06, 07:25   Link #11
demoran23

I'll second the call for Kurau: Phantom Memory. That's a solid show, and at points the feeling of love between Christmas and Kurau is tangible. They really made the Rimax pair relationship work. This is by no means a shoujo-ai/yuri thing; it's more akin to an onee-chan thing.

Sword of the Stranger is, of course, a fistful of awesome. I have yet to experience better fluidity of animation, and it's got awesome fight sequences. The only one that comes close (at times) is Seirei no Moribito (in my admittedly limited experience).

If you're a fan of romance/drama (and it looks like you are), you do yourself an absolute disservice if you don't watch NANA. This one nears Clannad ~After Story~ in emotional epicness.

Another one in that realm that has a real feeling of authenticity is Koi Kaze. They've taken the topic of a 28 year old guy having the hots for his 15 year old (surprise!) sister and turned it into a heart-felt masterpiece.

You have two glaring gaps in your rom/com exposure: Nodame Cantabile and Maison Ikkoku. Nodame is solid, light, fun and funny. Maison Ikkoku is one of those rare older anime that have weathered the test of time and come out shining. Unlike it's vastly overrated contemporary Kimagure Orange Road, it's both character and plot driven, and you almost never feel like there's a filler episode in there somewhere (which is impressive with it's 96 episode length). The characters are all important and well developed. Yo, I'm happy that you're able to enjoy 720p content, and Ima let you finish, but Maison Ikkoku is one of the best rom/coms of all time. Of all time!

Last edited by demoran23; 2009-11-06 at 07:28. Reason: s/karau/kurau