View Single Post
Old 2006-10-23, 01:24   Link #558
Primum Mobile

About the year the story takes place, here's my 2 cents:

First of all, the year of the story for the anime is definitely 2004 (unless KyoAni does a fix on the DVD). My proof? In ep. 10, around 5:30 of the a.f.k. release, Kyon's cellphone clearly show that 5/25 is a Tuesday. That would be year 2004.

As for the year for the novel, I have come to the conclusion that either somebody messed the date up (either in-story character or the author), or it's 2003.

My first clue is Dec. 17 -20 must be school days, since Kyon went to school during those 4 days in Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.

My second clue is July 7 (Tanabata event) and Sept. 1 (first day of school after summer vocation) must also be school days, since Kyon also attended school during those dates. Unfortunately, these 2 dates happen to be the same day.

But now there's a contradiction. Assuming Kyon's high school don't have school on Saturday (as seen during the first "SOS Brigate wondering around the city" acitivity), then 12/17 must be a Monday or a Tuesday. That would be 2001, 2002 and 2007. But on all of those years, 7/7 and 9/1 are on weekend.

I have 2 explanations (other than someone messed the date up) for this contradiction.
(1) Because Kyon's high school was in special pre-holiday schedule, they might have to show up for school on Saturday. This will allow 2003 and 2008 to be considered, and 7/7 and 9/1 are monday on those years.
(2) Due to the event in Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, 12/18 - 12/20 can be concidered as a separate timeline. So as long as 7/7, 9/1, and 12/17 are weekday, any year is fine (which happens to be 2003, 2004, 2008, and 2009).

Both explanations have some flaws in them. But that's the best I can do.

Of course, there's also the issue of "the first day after golden week is a wednesday". If we were to accept that as truth, then there's no way to dispute the story must have happened on 2009. Together with all the other messed up, we can then say the author didn'r really plan on the date very carefully at all.

Bah, I say. Instead, I think the ff. are what really happend (most of which already mentioned by someone else):
(1) Error in translation. While this is the cause I would like to believe the most, concidering both the official Traditional Chinese translation and the a.f.k. translation gave the same translation, this is unlikely.
(2) The day Taniguchi tapped Kyon's shoulder is not the same day Kyon talked to Haruhi about her hair. But the way the story is presented definitely suggest those 2 events happened on the same day...
(3) Kyon in still delirious from the long holiday.
(4) Kyon's school didn't start on May 6, but almost a week later. But I have no proof to back this up.

The 7th novel might also shed some light to this issue (via Valentine's day), but I haven't read the book yet, so I wouldn't know...