View Single Post
Old 2007-12-22, 14:15   Link #23
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala Caeli View Post
What role do you play in an FPS the most?

Are you usually the...

Charger, who rushes into fights recklessly and rips everyone apart?

Sniper, who takes everyone down at a distance?

Ducker, who uses a lot of cover and takes a few shots every so often?

Bunny, who jumps around dodging bullets and shooting people at the same time?

Human Shield, who gets in everyone's way and ends up getting pumped full of holes?

Grenadier, who likes to toss grenades at the beginning of every round?
A little bit of everything.

I tend to find that I am the mid to close combat skirmisher. I guess I'd be that combination of "ducker" and "charger." I occassionally do sniping, but I typically detest snipers. Sniping does not necessarily equal finesse or intelligence.

Anyway, if you play FPS's long enough, you start defying easy categorization since you typically find value in a wide-range of game methods and techniques. That's just what happens when you start getting better at the game.

In Natural Selection (Half Life mod), you play an alien or a marine fighting over map resources and you upgrade guns or forms or whatever. Aliens encourage a more stealth/speed/tear-your-face off approach. So it's much easier to use hit-and-run tactics to preserve your health while reaping kills.

As a marine, you typically find that range and accuracy is your best friend. You find yourself finding methods of keeping aliens exposed long enough for you to put holes int them. Maneuverability is not your thing until you get ahold of a jetpack later on. Power armor, by contrast, affords you the extra few seconds you need to do the bullet-riddling. Power armor phalanxes and heavy weaponry is a favorite endgame strategy of many commanders.

In the infamous Halo, I was that auto-sniping whore everybody detests. You know, the pistol that Bungie so nerfed out of fright. (Halo 1 was excellent multiplayer. Halo 2 sucked in every aspect. Halo 3 is good.) In any case, nobody seems to enjoy the mid-range battles of duck-and-cover and blindsiding with pistols and grenades. Good times. Good times.
Twisted Reality is offline   Reply With Quote