View Single Post
Old 2009-09-04, 10:10   Link #136
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
Exactly how I feel.

As for the killing her off comment of mine, if knocking sense into her is prohibited then what else is there? If she is such a dangerous object to be killed, what happens if something ordinary happens, like getting run over by a car? We also see Koizumi theorising that someone gave Haruhi those powers for some reason, meaning Haruhi isn't the source of the power itself - she's just a tool.
Haruhi's a tricky case. I can see why Koizumi does what he does.

She has done/said some despicable things, yes, but... I don't think that she deserves to die. The problem is, of course, that it's intrinsically wrong to just go along with her worse moments of mistreating others.

... Maybe the best thing to do would be for Itsuki, Kyon, Mikuru, and Yuki to all just walk out on Haruhi, and say "We don't want to be part of the SOS Brigade any more until you clean up your act. Cleaning up your act means agreeing to treat Mikuru better, and stop treating us like subjects to do your bidding with out ever considering what we have to say."

Anybody here play Tales of the Abyss? If so...

Spoiler for Tales of the Abyss:

Well, if the SOS Brigade where to do something like the above towards Haruhi (but maybe a touch less harsh), maybe that would get through to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
Hu, that's ridiculous. Nearly everybody would refuse flatly (and angrily) at the idea of being thrown in dirty water in autumn just so some spoiled brat would have fun.

We may find many of Haruhi's anthics to be fun because it's an anime and we don't have to deal with her in reality, but when judging the reactions of the characters in the show, we should try to imagine ourselves in their place.
Saying someone who is afraid to be thrown into dirty water has psychological problems... Hu...
It's not the one who doesn't want to be thrown in water who has problem in the head ; it's the one who want to throw others in.

Hu, actually, it's, again, Haruhi who has trouble with empathy, not Kyon.
Kyon had troubles to understand HIMSELF, not to understand HARUHI. What I understood is that the snark remarks irritated him because he realized that he actually liked Haruhi and was bored without her.

Yes, yes, yes, OHHHHH YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES...
She really got it off FAAAAAR too easily. But well, it's a bit the very concept of the serie, so...

That's exactly what have been my point and why I called her a monster in past threads ^^

Actually, Haruhi character hasn't been stretched. It simply has been true to herself. She IS like that - we could see it in the first season - it's just that we are seeing her a bit more in day-to-day life and not only the "fun parts".
Someone as hideously self-centered as she is, and who disregards others as only tools for her amusement, would be exactly like in Sigh.

It's called "sociopathy"
And though it's not quite like how it happens IRL, it's actually a bit this principle.
Maybe you're right, Akka. This episode is really making me reconsider Haruhi.

I want to like her character a lot, since she can be so dynamic and entertaining and fun, and her character design is gorgeous, but... maybe I've gone too easy on her in the past.

... I've always been a sucker for a pretty face.