Thread: Licensed Cross game
View Single Post
Old 2009-05-15, 23:04   Link #334
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

The tsundere label is strictly a fandom definition in the first place, a label created by the fans to describe a particular set of stereotypes, just as the fans are responsible for evolving the meaning to its current nature. With that said, when fans apply this label to characters like Louise, Shana, Taiga and many others, they are doing so because there's a certain pattern they recognize. These are pretty much 'people with conceited, spiky, combative personalities that suddenly becomes modest and loving when triggered by some sort of cause' (originally I wouldn't touch Wiki, but ironically, there is no better reference to use right now). When the fans reach a consensus with this description in mind, this is how the standards of this label are made clear.

When you use the 'tsundere' fan-label with Aoba, it strongly implies that she belongs to this group of girls, who are constantly used as shining examples of the label. (Ones who pretty much define the term.) I agree with the people who said the label was misused. No matter what tsundere types there are, what all of them seem to have in common is the demand of focus on their so-called tsundere personalities as the deciding factor that largely defines their relationships, and in turn, places considerably less emphasis on the circumstances around them - when it's actually the opposite for Aoba. Her personality had never dictated her and Kou's relationship; the situation does.

No matter how much Aoba is praised as a well-done/exceptional tsundere, if she doesn't meet the 'requirements', or rather, conflicts with it, then it's still confining the wrong character to the standards of that label, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin
We really need to create a new term for her.
Why come up with new stereotypes for her? As Scab said, "Aoba" is fine.

Edit:
Quote:
Because mine is the voice of reason, and a lot of brain cells are being wasted on discussion that is of absolutely non-existent importance or relevance.
Not really, though it doesn't serve much to the main topic at hand, it's still an interesting subject worth commenting on.

Last edited by cheesie; 2009-05-16 at 18:48.
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote