View Single Post
Old 2011-08-12, 16:53   Link #23762
Leafsnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I would imagine that's possibly because he wasn't "The Higurashi Guy" at the time he was writing Higurashi. I'm not saying I know it's gotten to his head, but I think it might've gotten to mine if I were, well, The Higurashi Guy.
I guess the real test will be whether he continues to be arrogant in future works (you'd expect him to be more arrogant since he's now The Higurashi and Umineko Guy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Or Higurashi made him super fucking famous and after basking in that glow he became a stuckup ass. If the arrogant thing was supposed to be part of the experience then that just confirms my view that Death of the Author needs to be applied to Umineko because he's just detracting from his own novel.
Well, the introduction sees the author take on the role of a witch and outright tell the reader that they're going to be screwed with in an arrogant manner. It's a pretty consistent gimmick of the series (especially after Beatrice is introduced, of course). I mean, half of Beatrice's apparent strength (and since she's trying to achieve a submission, apparent strength is everything) comes from her being completely confident and pretending she has some godly trick up her sleeve all the time, so I feel Ryukishi may have wanted to do this (as part of his "put the reader through some of the same things as the characters" gimmick).
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote