View Single Post
Old 2006-05-30, 17:48   Link #1269
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
Still i don't see the need of changing the name of the anime.
Because it would probably flop if it sat on the shelf with the name "Shakugan no Shana"?

I love the original titles too. I love the original voice actors and all of that, but at the end of the day we're a tiny minority outside of Japan. I would consider my wife a reasonably comprehensive anime fan (she enjoys, among other things, Azumanga Daioh, Love Hina, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Fruits Basket, Please Teacher, Mahoromatic, Chobits, FMA, FMP?Fumoffu, and Happy Lesson, as you can see, there's quite a variety of material she enjoys). She will not watch anything in Japanese. Ever. I have had more success getting my 8 year old son to read subtitles (for Keroro Gunso and Bleach) than my wife. If the series has a japanese title, she'll pass. She would not even look at something named Shakugan no Shana on the shelf. It took months to get her to watch Azumanga Daioh with me and my son. The change is for people like her (and, yes, there are a lot of them out there).

Happy R2 buying though. The picture and sound quality on R2 DVDs can't be beat. I never noticed the difference until we moved to the 54" TV, but now I'm amazed I couldn't tell before. Personally I try to only get stuff that's not getting licensed on R2, but I can understand the sentiment that wants R2 for things they really enjoy. Ultimately, at the end of the day, you're supporting the original creators either way.

EDIT: Of course, right after I post this my wife decides she'd like to watch Ohran High Host Club!

Last edited by rooboy; 2006-05-30 at 20:27.
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote