Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-10, 09:20   Link #668
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
If they will involve medieval institutions I'll have more interest in the show than I do now... The impression I got from episode 1 is that the Demon King is the only one who has any idea about economy, and everyone else is either an idiot or a stupid, greedy warmonger.
That is a bit harsh, nowadays people have little idea how the economy works, most people are interested in their every day basic needs, why would it be different back then? You might say back then the economy was a lot simpler to understand, which is true, but back then only the upper echelons of society knew how to read (there was no public education system), books were expensive and rare because they were hand made by monks and the feudal lords were only interested in having cheap (as in free) manual labor that could be easily manipulated (as in, the dumber the better).

Quote:
Which is would be pretty boring and annoying, not to mention unrealistic. Someone said a while ago that the setup was realistic because feudal lords would scoff at the idea of paying a tax to feed the poor - but it's not like there was no taxation in the middle ages even on feudal lords, or there were no poor relief efforts.
Here is the quintessence of what made the medieval world go round. There was just one basic tax, the king taxed 20% of the income the feudal lords made. The feudal lords were supposed to make income since the king allowed them to use the land (and the serfs that lived there in) to raise crops. The complex taxation system the roman empire had was nowhere to be seen, it was thought as complex burden. Feudal lords barely made enough money to maintain their castle and a few troops, so anything else was achieve with local taxation (no federal funds whatsoever), be it maintenance of a local road, building a bridge and whatnot. Beyond some church efforts (that had a tax of 10% of their own) to relieve the poor, I have no knowledge of organized relief efforts to help the poor in the middle ages.

Quote:
Not that I'm expecting any serious treatment of medieval politics and economics from this show, but still, if a show is going to be praised for its treatment of economics it would be good if it had a reasonably complex and believable setup instead of an oversimplified one.
I like the KISS premise of the show, you do not need to make something boring to be true.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote