View Single Post
Old 2013-01-11, 22:22   Link #63
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I suspect most people these days will find fanservice to be very distracting and unnecessary. It obviously serves no purpose except behind the fourth wall.
Excellent post. I snipped some of it to save space, but all of it was excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Why does "serious" mean "no fanservice."
Anime fanservice tends to be lighthearted and kind of whimsical in nature. That clashes with scenes that have a more serious mood, imo.

Quote:
It doesn't just take place in a lighthearted work, it takes place in a fanservicey work.
VRO isn't Ikki Tousen. You're overstating your argument here.

Quote:
I think it complements the fight.
I don't. I think that it typical detracts considerably from the technical and cinematography merits of the fight. It takes away from what makes a good, serious fight good to me.

Quote:
It makes the fight more interesting, because yay, ass shots.
I don't need ass shots to find something interesting.

Quote:
If you find it distracting during fight scenes, why wouldn't you find it distracting during conversation scenes?
In some conversation scenes I might, but in a more lighthearted shows, the conversation scenes are usually lighthearted. So fanservice doesn't necessarily seem out of place to me in them.

Quote:
Beyond that you don't like them, what is wrong with fanservicey action scenes?
It often takes away from the technical and cinematography merits of a fight, imo.

Quote:
For you.
No, not just me. I'm not the only one who feels the way I do about fanservice in action scenes.

Quote:
If I'm not in it for the fanservice, I really don't have trouble ignoring fanservice where it would be distracting. For example, there is a ton of fanservice (at least relative to KyoAni's adaptations) in LB!, I notice them, but I'm not really distracted from anything important.
The fanservice in LB! is nothing like having most of your screen taken up with a close-up ass shot. Really now...

Quote:
Being noticed doesn't mean being distracted by.
Sure, but if what you notice is in your direct range of focus, and obscuring you from what you want to watch and focus on, then of course it's distracting.

This is why your cafe/Hawaii shirt guy analogy isn't applicable. You can turn away from the guy who wears that t-shirt and just focus on your your friend and/or your meal. When a big ass-shot happens, turning away from that means that you're ceasing to watch the show itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Why is fanservice wrong?
I never said that fanservice is wrong. I was just saying that the term "guilty pleasure" isn't entirely without validity.

Quote:
What about the people who want fanservice integrated with action scenes?
Let me ask you a question. If Strike Witches did not have fanservice in its action scenes, would that bother you? Seriously?

Quote:
Episode wise there are a lot of people that do, mainly because we are in it for the long run. It's hard to just not watch episodes done by certain staff because you don't like their style.

However, it's a lot easier with complete series. If a series doesn't take a direction I like, I just don't watch it, instead of complaining.
You can't always judge an anime by just one episode. I think most anime fans would agree with that.