View Single Post
Old 2008-09-09, 00:48   Link #2005
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Ehm, that's weird (why in the blazes would the OS need to load it twice?). Googling around gives me several results that, as always in the Windows world, depend on a variety of third-party software misbehaving somewhere or something.

I wouldn't worry too much. Try keeping watch of your processes when you first login. If you still see two instances, then try disabling all processes starting on login. Hopefully you can isolate it that way and not worry about it being some case of malware.
Well, I have confirmed that I have two actual rundll32.exe files on my system. One located in the system32 folder and the other in the "i386" folder under the "ServicePackFiles" folder. The two files appear identical except I am able to edit the compatibility options for the latter. A quick comparison also shows the latter file was created on the 28th of last month. Funny thing is its modified date precedes its creation date and is identical to the modified date of the former rundll32.exe file in the system32 folder.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote