View Single Post
Old 2008-09-10, 03:40   Link #2009
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
You can have multiple instances of rundll32.exe just like you can any other process. The executable itself is used to run several different things that are themselves DLL files. The reasons why are technical, but suffice to say that many Windows components are provided as DLLs rather than their own executables. Open up the Add/Remove Programs menu and you'll see another instance of it open.

The only question is what's being run that requires it to be open. If you hadn't already identified the use of them, I'd say kill those processes and see what stops. No need for that now, of course.

Some viruses/trojans/what-have-you (mostly older ones) disguised themselves with similar image names, so just to be on the safe side, update and scan with your anti-virus software. (If your anti-virus software is the home edition of Norton or McAffee, switch to something else, like AVG, Trend Micro, or Kaspersky. If it's not *your* PC to be able to change the software on, just scan with Trend Micro HouseCall.)
I found out what was causing the second rundll32.exe. Nvidia desktop management was enabled somehow without my notice. Disabled it, and the extra rundll32 went poof. Problem solved.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote