View Single Post
Old 2013-02-12, 00:49   Link #20
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
So you cited an interview with some hack saying he wrote the first two episodes to establish a gritty alien war setting, when the entire rest of the show has nothing to do with the gritty alien war setting and even actively goes against the basic we're-running-out-of-dudes-because-everyone-is-constantly-getting-killed ideas illustrated in that setting.
Funny, I thought the in universe reason the XFJ project exists in the first place, frontline combat testing in Kamchatka, and the repercussions of people mistreating war refugees all had quite a bit to do with that gritty alien war setting.

Ultimately, it was necessary for the early episodes to establish a bunch of stuff about the setting and make it so that the audience could understand Yui's character, and I think the dramatic approach the writers chose to take was a better way to do this than boring mass info dumping. Not only did this approach provide necessary info, it managed to throw in some emotionally powerful backstory for one of the key characters in the series to boot.

As I said earlier, I think the problem with the first two episodes is really that the writers did their jobs a little too well.