View Single Post
Old 2012-07-16, 23:39   Link #1143
Warm Mist

I don't think animators and base workers earn royalties anyway. And most of the budget is probably provided by Kadokawa/Pony Canyon, and related sponsors.

I may be wrong, but it's pretty hard to believe the same staff can consistently churn out such wonderful and extremely detailed productions when they're unhappy with their conditions, or working under severe stress. It'd be easier to explain if it was A-1 which hires everyone, but KyoAni doesn't use outside animators and keeps almost everything inhouse. There is a lot of work put into things like Nichijou, or Hyouka, certainly more than their previous productions like Air or Haruhi which still were top-notch for their time. I wouldn't settle for anime industry-tier working conditions if I was animating that.

Anyway, anime projects almost always works with a shoestring budget, and I don't really think Kyoani are a big exception. They probably make good use of trainees that don't need a salary, and distribute the money more evenly between staff.