View Single Post
Old 2007-03-12, 15:33   Link #844
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magyareagle View Post
And yes, what an upstandingly moral member of the community he is! Everyone should strive to be like the Lovelace's.
Pillars of the community who run one of the 6 largest drug cartels in the region!
And not only that, he hires one of the most deadly guerilla's to be his maid!
Yay! *sarcasm*

As much as I love the series, the whole part where Garcia was describing his life with the his father and Roberta, which made it look like they were genteel country nobility had me cracking up. The Lovelace familly is about as far removed from innocent as you can get. Garcia is still naive, but as Balalaika said, he will make a good head of the familly someday. And old man Lovelaces's hands are stained with blood, just like the rest of them.
I did wonder about what the Lovelace family's livlihood was before I made that post; its worth looking into, as I'm doing at the moment. A lot of important insights into the Lovelace family and their history is offered in volume six of the manga, which has not yet been released in English, translated, nor revealed in manga. Bur for now, some recaps of details:

1)According to Garcia, the Lovelaces are one of thirteen leading families (land owning but poor ex-aristocracy) in South America, who have been on the decline ever since the Cartels arrived, first to buy and then to interfere with their farm lands. He also mentions that his father is an old fashioned man who did not "expand into new business ventures."

The behavior by the cartels reveals an important detail; that the Lovelace's were not using their lands for drug-related activities, even though the soil composition of their land was extraordinarily suitable for narcotics, so much that the Cartels tried to take it from them and kidnap Garcia as a means to reach that objective and take revenge.

2)According to Balalaika's research and Garcia's own words, the Lovelace's have only one servant (later on we see that they hired a new one). There's no mention of a private army, or any sizable membership necessary of a crime organization.

3) Roberta was not hired by Diego; rather, he took her under his wing after she quit FARC and was on the run due to his friendship to her deceased father. It is also clear that from that point on until she goes to Roanapour to rescue Garcia, she served the Lovelace's only in the capacity of a maid, albeit a poor one who could neither cook nor clean.

And 4...
Spoiler for Manga Volume 6:

In conclusion: The Lovelace family under Diego was not a part of a drug cartel, but as Garcia, Rock, and Balalaika confirmed, a poor landed Family that has declined from former prestige. Roberta took it upon herself to serve the Family in what ways she could, as a maid and later on a body guard when the need arose. The recent storyline centered on the Lovelace is still continuing, so we'll see how that turns out.