View Single Post
Old 2012-12-22, 19:46   Link #31485
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifloon View Post
Eh, that's fair enough. I'll concede that Ryukishi could have definitely done it better, although I do still find a lot of beauty in the last parts of EP7 regardless. But he could certainly have made it more clear exactly how Yasu imagined the Golden Land and he could have given Yasu better reasons for her deep feelings of hopelessness and resignation than he did. I guess I'm just able to appreciate the point he was making even if he did it in a flawed way, and that's kind of how I feel about a lot of Umineko in general.

I do think it needs to be stressed that Yasu did definitely go down a path that was wrong, and this was illustrated very well in that one scene with Ange and Sakutaro in EP4. I talked about it a while ago here, but I do tend to see this as the turning point for Yasu. She clearly made a big mistake here when she agreed to teach Maria 'black magic', and I think this mistake is what led her way of thinking to the point where she would eventually commit the murders.
I like to think that all Ep 4 wanted to imly is that Maria and Beato fantasized about making such things as Maria never tries to kill Rosa and it can be that PrimeYasu merely wrote mysteries in which she murdered everyone.

Anyway for me there are various problems with the way Yasu (and the people she killed) are portrayed and her motive for doing it and the idea we should 'understand' her.

What PieceYasu did is planning a quite horrible crime and executing it and we're invited to... feel love for her, to understand her motive.

To do it she needs to have a very good reason for her own actions one that can make us say: what she did was wrong but in that moment she couldn't know better.

Yet her own motive seems too vague, not strong enough to accept the horrible things she did with an 'yes, she did wrong but in that moment to her it probably seemed right'.

That's why I wanted a deep insight in her mind, to figure out how it become okay to her to kill:
- the people she, for her own admission, had judged like a mother and a father (Kumasawa and Genji) and who had always been partial toward her
- the people whom she had judged friends, with whom she had grown up, who cared for her, who loved her and whom she loved (Jessica, George and Battler)
- a child who was also her best friend (Maria) and that had never done something wrong
- 2 apparently friendly adults who're never shown taunting her or doing something against her (Hideyoshi and Kyrie)
- a doctor who's responsible only of saving her life

I won't go into the others as they did/could have done things she might have judged worth of killing them (although I've met people worse than Gohda and never killed them).

It's really annoying when I think we've a better look into Kyrie's mind when she considered to kill Asumu than into Yasu's who actually killed so many people and is one of the main characters.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote