View Single Post
Old 2009-08-22, 11:22   Link #62
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blablabla View Post
The Senjohara moment of the day was as WTF unexpected as ever.... and once again SO FUNNY. I really love how she is toying Araragi without any complex.
Funny, but even though it started out seeming that Senjouhara was being cold with Araragi, it actually quickly came to seem quite intimate and even a little sweet.

If you remove the surreality of the situation it would be as if Senjouhara had found Araragi stiff and sore (bot not actually injured) by the side of the road where he had fallen off his bike. She's playfully curious about what could have caused the (minor) accident, but more than anything pleased that nothing serious is wrong with him.

As for Suruga I'm really captivated by that cute little grin of her's! I'd normally find her genki type just irritating and flat, but somehow she seems so sincerely chipper even through the tensest moments that I find myself liking her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
On another note, I also think it's odd that Suruga starts offering herself to Araragi despite her being a lesbian. Is she trying to break Senjougahara and Araragi apart? Perhaps she's testing him? Does she actually like him now all of a sudden?
Her sudden flirtation with Araragi is a little puzzling to me too. I'm not sure how her affliction will tie into the psychology of the situation, but it seemed to me that Suruga was trying to posses Araragi physically so that Senjouhara would be available. In other words, her interest in him was only a means to remove him from Senjouhara's affections.

Like I said I'm not sure where it's going, but if you look at the pattern emerging it seems that it starts with a stereotypical harem character type: tsundere, loli, genki.

They then reveal unexpected psychological depth paired with a supernatural affliction: emotional emptiness = weightless, loss of family = physically lost, 'abnormal' romantic desires = physical deformity.

This depth both subverts the expectations of the genre and plays more realistically: tsundere does not become cute and shy when affectionate, but is shockingly straightforward, loli is not an perpetually enticing icon of innocence but rather petulant, irritating and violent , athletic girl harbors attractions for the same gender (ok perhaps a that's just one stereotype for another more plausible less kawaii one).

Finally that affliction becomes a threat to the hero : physical assault removed from human remorse and empathy, perpetual loss and wandering (and being eaten), (who knows what the monkey has in store?).

Of course the other effect of this pattern is the subverting of the larger harem template. Araragi does in fact acquire a set of moelicious cuties who are obsessed with him - unfortunately they all want him dead! (at least at first).