Thread: Crunchyroll Hunter X Hunter Anime (2011)
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-09, 23:37   Link #3334
freeofgreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Haha no. I doubt most people would "shut up and accept" that a guy in a business suit and a beard stubble is a girl just because the author suddenly says so. What do you think is happening now?

That he's a girl who just happens to look like that.

As for your picture, she clearly looks like a girl now so there's no problem. If he looks like Abraham Lincoln and the author makes him officially a girl then you bet people are gonna say something about it.
I'am not saying people wouldn't disagree, that would obviously happen. What I'am saying is that it makes zero sense to try to argue with the author about his choices reguarding his own work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upscaled View Post
And I have already posted a response disputing the evidence in the guidebooks.
You did no such thing. You pointed out that one of the Kare characters wasn't refering to Pitou and that's about it. You didn't refute any of my other points at all, if anything you just gave more evidence supporting the fact that Pitou is a male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
While I can basically agree that there's no particular good reason for fans to assume Pitou is female, there's also no good reason for people to constantly chime in with "but the databooks say she's male so neener neener". As you can probably tell by my strawman, it seems kind of childish to me, like bragging that you know some piece of trivia.
The guidebooks was just one facet of my argument, and you seem to be implying that using references to support ones argument is "being childish". Which is completely ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
In short the anime is presenting her as female with her new design emphasizing the existence of breasts, the translators have assumed she's female (mistakenly or not), and it doesn't matter to the story in the slighest, so why not let people go on thinking she's female? What difference does it make? Why do you have to constantly "correct" them with information that itself seems more and more dubious upon close examination? Who is that for the benefit of?
From this I can tell that you just jumped in and assumed that I was the one who started all of this. If you had actually bothered to read any of this you would've noticed this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
What's the source for Pitou being male anyway? Databooks are not reliable. The Japanese don't seem to think she's male going by the fanarts.
Kanon was the one who re-initiated this discussion and had asked for a source regarding Pitou's gender, so I answer him/her. So I take offense to you implying that I'am here just to pick fights. And as I've stated in nearly all of my posts, people are free to refer to Pitou as whatever gender they'd like, but officially he's male. There are numerous post were people refer to Pitou as a female and I've said absolutely nothing to those guys. The only people I've been responding to were the ones who tried to counter my arguments.

Also things like the quality of the animation, the voice acting, and comparisons to the manga are discussed in this thread. None of those things have any relevance to the plot either so I guess we shouldn't discuss them either, right?
freeofgreed is offline   Reply With Quote