View Single Post
Old 2013-02-01, 23:15   Link #86
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Angel Beats! What a funny little anime this was. I remember watching it and liking it, but then again I read some reviews which bring fairly good point about the thing and maybe is not as good as I consider it. It sure didn’t deserve the 10 I give to it but it doesn’t deserve 2 and 4 I have seen some people give it. I know what a 2 grade anime is and Angel Beats! While not perfect is sure as hell better than that.

Again I am to blame since while I didn’t get a lot of story or characters from Angel Beats! I was never bored by it. I am not a fan of high school anime and to be fair is hard to find any anime in modern days where the protagonist is not on an institute or something like that. I always found the setting just boring. Which is not the case here. While not original, smart of incredible Angel Beats! Knows how to have fun, which seems to be a problem with other series and there is when it gains me. Again, I like the series because it always shows me something and I can’t really compare the story to other animes people compare it because I never saw those.

Now what I consider good about it: the characters, the setting, the comedy and the animation. The characters are just so much fun that I like them all, even if some are just shallow or not develop whatsoever. They are a ton of fun to watch and just seeing this many different characterizations working together is what makes them more dynamic to me. The setting in the afterlife videogame is weird and not well thought out but at least tries to do something with its own elements. Even if it comes down to basic high school drama.

The comedy is all over the place but I like it maybe because is just… different from what I see in anime most times. I mean not because the jokes are any new but because the way they do this is not the “anime way” if you not what I mean. I did like the comedy even if it’s just because change something I already consider not funny in to something I could laugh with (To me anime comedy is mediocre at best and always kicks in the worst of times). Of course the animation is nice and I like the eyes of the characters, really something colorful to look at.

Now the bad: poor explanations to what the hell is going on, plot twist that really went nowhere, fake drama for the win and overall a lack of focus or clear goal. Yes I will be lying if I say the drama didn’t get me but is also so easy to remember “they are dead, will be fine in a while” which of course adds a really sense of “Who the hell cares?” when something bad happens to the characters. Also is amazing how we are never told so many things and the story feel like it could use a little more running time because it was trying to please everyone and suffer for lack of development.

Now that alone doesn’t make it a bad series. I think Angel Beats! Is very good and an enjoyable experience even with all the mess. At least I know who the people on it are, I know why they don’t die and in the end it does give a sense of fun, adventure and happiness. I mean, we almost cry by the end which didn’t make much sense but was kind enough to tell me why I should give a crap. (Unlike other series I know… I am looking at you ViVid/Force) So while not giving it a 10 it sure deserves an 8 and I can recommend it to almost anyone, just don’t expect story and have a good time.