View Single Post
Old 2011-05-26, 02:43   Link #25
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Hmmm the folks at Baka-Tsuki seem to be getting interested in this one. Here's some impressions lifted from there (credits to wellis for his contact with Baka-Tsuki):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaTsuki

...But since I enjoyed the sample of vol.1, now I have a copy of the book with me. The depth of the story is certainly more than your conventional light novels, given the adequate length and greater artistic freedom (this is originally an internet novel after all).

The scale of the story and the SDF focus reminds me of Hiro Arikawa's Library Wars and SDF Triology. As for the story, it has a flavour of Shouji Gatou (famous for FMP). The setting is in particlar similar to Cop Graft, another decent work by Gatou sharing a similar world with a portal linking the fantasy kingdom and the modern world, and with heroines from the fantasy world interacting with real-life soldiers. But then the focus of the two are drastically different. Gatou's story is a more personal one, focusing solely on character development, but this one feels like the Western epic fantasies, placing an equally great focus in establishing the fantasy world and illustrating international politics.
Also, some interesting notes about the politics of the setting:

Quote:

For the international politics, the author takes a Japan-centric view and leans towards the right (a regrettable thing indeed) but as a whole it is quite believable. It is said that control over the wide and undeveloped fantasy land with resources not too different from the earth may tilt the international power balance, as it was during the colonization era. Every country was therefore watching closely on every move Japan took and is anxious to take a share.

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Quote:

It was not much different from any ancient / medieval country that used territorial expansion as a means to garner resources and give legitimacy to their rule. It was a monarchy and the King seemed to be the one that has a final say on military and other issues.

Spoiler for Spoiler:

As a note:

Quote:
No. It is a conventional fantasy novel like Harry Potter in terms of size, price and layout. The only thing that makes it look like a light novel is its cover...

Spoiler for Spoiler:
LOL at the last part But seriously... can you blame them?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote