View Single Post
Old 2010-07-23, 10:27   Link #2465
Greg88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisArk View Post
Superior training has never been a factor in Eva Every time Asuka is in a fight after bomb-angel, she's either defeated soundly or dead. So it's not like it's anything new.
But that's my main gripe. This time, she doesn't get defeated, merely back-stabbed by Nerv/Seele's machinations. Yet just before she's put in the fridge, we get the "it's the heart that matters" quip, and then Shinji goes Super Saiyan.

So, instead of the portrayal of the dangers of deluding oneself and living in endless denial of reality, we get a storyline that seems (and i'm emphasizing seems) to give a middle-finger to the very concept of prowess earned through the meticulous honing of one's skill. Add to that a " The Taming Of The Shrew" type of a character-arc with a side order of "gb2 the kitchen" and... eugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I think this is one of the bigger reasons why you're not enjoying it, on top of a dislike of the Lighter and Softer nature of the Rebuild movies
I don't even think that it's that much lighter and softer. The fucked up-ness is just either less subtle and more in your face or it's covered with a coat of CGI bombast, but i don't find Rebuild to be that much happier (and i think the main blows have yet to land).

But alas, so far, for me, Rebuild has almost equal amounts of stuff that i think has great potential (i'm totally stoked for 3.0/4.0) and gives me wide, quivery eyes, and stuff that makes me want to slap Anno and run away crying. I'm a dude and i'm Tsundere for Rebuild.
Greg88 is offline   Reply With Quote