View Single Post
Old 2010-12-03, 00:36   Link #54
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Excellent episode.

Plot-wise, I admire how carefully detailed and smoothly developed everything has been in this anime so far, and this episode is by no means an exception.

However, one of my concerns after the very fast-paced first episode for this anime is that it would become the romantic comedy/eroge equivalent of the "monster of the week" formula so common in magical girl shows. In other words, instead of a "monster of the week", we'd have a "girl of the week", which for me would really take away from the overall impact of this anime.

By slowing things down a bit and giving each girl some chance to shine, it's made their respective arcs that much more gratifying and rewarding, in my opinion. I particularly found this with Kanon, and I'm confident that I'll find this with Shiori too.

I loved all the internal monologue that we had from Shiori. It really helped to flesh out her character. Her thoughts on books were very compelling and poetic, and is probably the best argument for reading books that I've seen since I watched LeVar Burton's Reading Rainbow as a kid many moons ago.

Overall, a truly wonderful episode.