View Single Post
Old 2010-07-20, 11:20   Link #43
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Reminds me of a comedy show I saw in Italy where this guy said "Gentlemen, go to visit America, before America visits you."

Even now, that saying rings a certain amount of truth because the US has had a historical reputation for sticking its nose into other people's business. While it's true that on certain occasions it has worked, it hasn't for many others. Vietnam was a failure, the gulf war remained mostly unresolved and (knowing I'm gonna get negged for saying this) neither has the second, which resulted in anarchy and rebellion in Iraq. Much of the old conflict in Afghanistan still remains after the Soviets were kicked out of there by the US. As it turned out, the US were no different. Even they wanted the oil.

In essence, you're right. The 9/11 attacks were an example of a brilliant success in inspiring fear among the people, assuming it was indeed an act of terrorism. People have been terrorized ever since and have been ruled by fear. But who are the real terrorists? Al Quaeda or the government? Ever since Al Quaeda, the US has been imposing more and more regulations, each one stricter than the last, to keep the population supposedly safe. But safe from what? The only occasion where the US came directly under attack was in Pearl Harbor long after the beginning of WW2 in Europe. The US was entirely in the offensive for the remainder of the war and has been directly involved in other country's affairs since then with the formation of the League of Nations and later the United Nations (both headquartered in the US). The US mainland never came under attack at all.

Al Quaeda attacked in very specific places (again, assuming it was them who attacked) but now, after all these years, what have they done? Who have they killed? Where is their leader? Is he still alive? All these questions remain obscure to the public and for what? Who is the enemy of the US? Why aren't we focusing on North Korea, who are the ones that really have weapons of mass destruction and are not afraid to use them? Same goes for Iran. Why not them? Because one of them doesn't have the oil resources, and the other, while it does have oil, also has its ways to defend themselves. The Anglo Persian Oil Company (later renamed to Anglo Iranian Oil Company) was a prime example of how such a conflict could have escalated to another war and I still consider the world lucky that things went the way they did at the time. The US is too afraid to get into another cold war. If free trade and globalization was working the way it should be, we wouldn't have any of this.

So my question remains, with all these other unanswered questions, who is the real terrorist? The ones attacking, or the ones controlling the people with the excuse of the ones attacking?

Now, I'm not saying the US is the only one doing this kind of thing. Don't think for a second my gripe is only with the US. All countries are doing this. Italian media is hiding Berlusconi's involvement with the Mafia and on top of that, news channels and papers hardly focus on real issues and tend to focus a lot more on gossip and talk show material. To me, that is even worse than what the US is doing. Shame on you Berlusconi! And shame on you Emilio Fede for glorifying him!

P.S. Sorry for the rant, I just had to say it

Last edited by Tsuyoshi; 2010-07-20 at 11:33.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote