View Single Post
Old 2007-01-03, 06:13   Link #26
cyth
Banned

Well, at some point AnimeSuki will have to decide who gets the priority on this issue (fansub or RAW watchers), and while everything could continue the way it is, we'll never know what would be like with extended forum options/posting instructions if we never try them out.
There's probably no best solution to this issue, however there's evil and there's lesser evil. I have no doubt in my mind that choosing the lesser evil, i.e. prioritizing fansub watchers since they are still the majority of potential participants, would be a better solution. I remember a few years ago, the "news community" or, if you want, the "spoiler community" wasn't even remotely as big as it is today. It consists of rare individuals who have the ability to follow episodes in Japanese (or indulge in other media such as manga, novels, games of the same franchise) and post summaries through their blogs, or on forums, and groups of people who enjoy spoilers and/or watch raws just for the heck of being the first to watch something (and have very limited or no japanese language skills). The "fear" of deprioritizing and, most likely, offending this minority stems from the fact that this group is far more progressive than the other; it's striving to be the first, to deliver the latest news and insight with their language/data mining abilities. It's definitely a gain to have such people around. But fansub watchers heavily rely on fansubs, however they are still the majority.
I do feel the same, as others have expressed already, that fansub watchers are most likely less inclined to discuss a series if they feel that there's high possibility that their insight would offer nothing new to the discussion. And while I have the ability to follow raws in a decent manner I can understand their frustration.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote