View Single Post
Old 2013-02-17, 13:27   Link #93
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I think that difference doesn't really matter and the basic plot line is not what I am worried about.
I believe it actually does matter, in my opinion, since those and other differences (no sense in going for a truly detailed comparison before the series has started to air) will affect, directly or indirectly, what specific type of story this will end up trying to be. All of that has a greater or lesser impact.

Quote:
I am more worried about the fact that Code Geass while entertaining was too over the top, silly, & had this right wing feel I disliked (even in the first series which fans typically regard as better).
Personally, I still don't see why you would expect them to be too similar in all those respects. The sense I'm getting from the design work and limited footage for Valvrave would seem to indicate that the show could potentially be less over-the-top, comparatively speaking, beyond the mecha action sequences. Though I wouldn't completely reject the presence of at least some silly elements during the school scenes, for example. Can't really speak for any of the political elements at this early stage.

Ironically enough, I found the fact that the protagonist of Code Geass wasn't even Japanese himself, didn't have any special interest in Japan as a country and was basically manipulating those who could be described as "right-wingers" basically countered that particular sensation you've described, in practice. But I guess that's where our different points of view come in. You could even claim the show had a nationalist bent, to be sure, but I'd say it also had more of a left-wing emphasis in that regard, considering the figure of Zero (and that also affected the over-the-top nature of the series, by the way, through his crazy tricks and stunts. No character in Valvrave seems likely to play that role here, so far, and certainly not the protagonist).

Quote:
Although I realize he wasn't the head writer he also worked on Guilty Crown (although only as an associate) and that is even worse than Code Geass.
He was the assistant writer on that one, to be accurate, and wrote about six episodes. I also didn't like it myself. But the important part is that, once again, I don't think we should judge a writer using only one or two of his projects instead of a more representative selection. Which isn't an universally good record, of course, but it definitely proves that not all his shows are identical in the areas of concern you've previously brought up.

Quote:
I never saw Gundam SEED but honestly what I heard about it doesn't interest me.
Never implied that it should, but I mentioned that because there appear to be more similar elements in Gundam SEED than in anything else right now.

Quote:
I didn't say that the fact they he didn't work on this type of series was a bad thing. In fact I think that is a good thing and I am intrigued what he will do with it (especially with how he does the voice acting).

My issue with the director is personal, I've always been disappointed in all of his series in the end even when I started off liking them.
I see. I wasn't criticizing you though, but keeping expectations low would seem to be the most prudent move on your end.

Last edited by Xander; 2013-02-17 at 13:48.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote