View Single Post
Old 2013-02-02, 09:39   Link #72
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think that's downplaying it a bit. Makishima thinks that Sybil is a system that has made many humans something less than human (which is partly why he can kill so easily and without remorse). I think he views Sybil as an abomination that should be done away with for the good of humanity in a larger sense.
That was pretty much what I was trying to say, so cool. Just that, like I've been saying a lot in these threads, I don't think he's doing this for humanity's sake, but for his own ego and the deep-seated preconceptions that lie within it.

Quote:
But nonetheless, I do think he cares about the future of humanity in general.
I'm of the opinion that he only cares so much as it adheres to his ideal concerning how humanity "should be". So no, I don't think he cares about the human race in general. Rather, what he seems to care about is the idea of "humanity", that is to say, the state of being "human". And it's that idea that he's trying to recover at any cost.

Quote:
I think that Makishima feels that this applies to humanity as a whole - Any human that isn't free has a truly worthless life.

Don't get me wrong - He's not a wild-eyed idealist. He realizes the great practical obstacles that stand before him. And so he's aware that destroying Sibyl may leave nothing but destruction in its wake. But I think Makishima hopes that there is something of value beyond Sibyl.
I don't disagree with you. I'm not downplaying his motivations in any way. He genuinely wants to take down the Sybil system which pretty much strangles the human spirit. My issue here is with motivation. All I'm saying is that he's closer to an artist in pursuit of an ideal than some humanist with a utilitarian mindset.