Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-06-26, 07:05   Link #3091
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic
Well, I never said that I'd spend it on the health budget, but yes, that would probably be more useful. Considering America's poor rates of health coverage, it would probably benefit more people than a mind-bogglingly trip to Mars.
America doesn't need more money for healthcare. America needs to get its act together on healthcare and spend wiser on healthcare. America is already paying the most buck for healthcare, the bang just misses the mark.

And who knows what low gravity experimentation will do to advance our medical research?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic View Post
Yeah, I was kind of amalgamating the two
Well, then NASA shouldn't be cut, no? Nifty killing machines to maintain the almighty military-industrial complex maybe overkill, but we can never have enough of space research. NASA doesn't build supercarriers and modern battle tanks (unless NASA technologies are used on them), NASA do space research...and some other related stuff.

There's a lot of things out there, and the budget spent on NASA, I'd argue, is actually ridiculously low for the potential space holds for humanity, which is practically infinite barring the intervention of Cthulhu and his merry friends.

The scientific researches done for the projects of the organization also tend to produce useful side technologies, meaning even if I'm never going to become a space pirate in my life (oh man, if only I will be born in 2063 instead), it's still going to do me and a lot of people a lot of good. The billions may look big, but they're a practically a beads-for-Manhattan deal if one is willing to see beyond the immediate numbers.