View Single Post
Old 2009-06-07, 19:31   Link #15
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Increasing the fan requires more skill and patience, but the game as a whole becomes easier since it becomes a lot more predictable to figure out what people are aiming for.

Example, if we set the minimum fan to 13, what would everyone be aiming for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
HK style doesn't allow for a combination that consists of pons and chows in different suits so that again makes it more difficult to play and a winning hand of only chows of different suits are given 1 fan (meaning you are still missing 2 for a winning hand).
That's only a factor in Chinese Classic/Official, dual suit Pon and Chi aren't allowed in JP either. In fact, aside from the scoring (which HK holds in common with CO), Riichi and Dora, HK and JP have the same rules.

Quote:
And I don't think there are more possible winning hands in HK mahjong than Japanese mahjong...the options available to HK players aren't that many when you play with the "3 fan minimum" rule so there is hard to win with quick, cheap hands unlike the Japanese counterpart.
I don't know if 3 fan is standard or not, but all the HK games I've played were 1 fan minimum and that lead to ridiculous hands like an open pinfu without even a tanyao.

Quote:
It is a little unfair to say that it is pure luck and lol at the slot machine comparison
Sorry about that.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote