View Single Post
Old 2011-08-09, 16:18   Link #95
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
No, Rei had fun episodes, even fanservice episodes which were awesome. This one insulted the brains of many. The fanservice, while not the worst I've seen, is tasteless and downgraded almost all the characters in the series.
Exactly

The comparison that immediately sprung to mind for me was the first episode of Rei. That was a silly episode (and Higurashi has always had lots of those, no problem there) and the lovely female cast of the series showed off their assets plenty, but the episode was entertaining. Hell, it was great; I watched it twice.

Which just goes to show that what people are complaining about here, for the most part, isn't the concept of fanserivce Higurashi, it's the God-awful execution and lack of creative writing that went into this bottom of the barrel episode. The first half of the episode can't even be called writing, it was just a montage of lecherous fantasies.

It annoys me that they even used entirely inappropriate music at some parts, which were put to great use in the original series. Yeah, we really need that atmospherically scary music while they're talking about getting all hot and bothered staring at a kid's butt.

There was one genuinely great part of the episode, though. The scene where Rika went "We're not going to let you get away with this!" *pause* ... Nii-pa! I've missed her antics. Here's to hoping the rest of this OVA will up the ante a little bit, as I found this episode not only bad compared to Rei, but just plain bad in general.