View Single Post
Old 2012-05-30, 19:28   Link #100
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

I have been thinking there is another reason why some people (not necesarily on this board) might dislike the idea of immortality. In the past the church had the monopoly of healing, if you prayed with enthusiasm you might be saved and voila! the placebo effect might have saved a few lives. Some old woman learned how to use herbs to heal some diseases, but that would represent competition so they were labeled as witches and burned alive. A long time ago medicine mostly took the healing portfolio from the church (yet still some people with terminal diseases will look for divine intervention to heal them), so the church offers eternal salvation or reincarnation, which is nothing more than a promise of immortality. So when modern science grants also that, what else will be left for them to offer? How will they scare people into following the faith dogmas when they will simply reply "I am not going to hell because I am not dying!"? I think the most retrograde (Islamic countries, 4th world countries and the bible belt) of people will attack science and whoever represents them because they are "the messangers of satan" -_-
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote