Thread: Licensed Gunbuster
View Single Post
Old 2011-04-25, 22:07   Link #12
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I thought I'd necro this thread after 9/2 years as Gunbuster deserves a lot of attention. Pity the title includes an angry face, as it's a bit misleading to the quality of this anime and off-putting.

I only watched Gunbuster for the first time in January this year, and I have no doubt that it is a masterpiece. Indeed, for anyone who is a fan of recent anime but doesn't have the motivation or interest to tackle the older series, this is an ideal gateway.

Gunbuster's animation is fantastic and utterly top notch, comparable to the best animation made today. I have no idea how Gainax got the budget to make this, but there is evidently a lot of work put into the production values.

The story is emotionally resounding and the characters are lovable, especially Ota Kouichirou who is an excellent mentor throughout the anime. Anyone who has an interest in science will love Gunbuster's use of (surprisingly for a super robot anime) hard science.

Also notable is how Gunbuster is only 6 episodes long. I felt that it wasn't too short to tell its story at all and that everything that needed to be explored was properly shown.

I think every anime fan should see Gunbuster. It is a truly remarkable anime regardless of age or historical value.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote