Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-01, 20:23   Link #2937
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. Interesting discussion this page, testiness aside. I call myself an atheist, and I guess you'd say I was "middle-class." But this is my favorite show of all time and I liked the ending.

But I'm an open-minded atheist. Although I don't see anything that makes me think a god or magic really exists, I leave the possibility open. It may be true in some way that I haven't conceived of yet. I appreciate Richard Dawkins' writing, and share many of his scientific opinions, but he has always been pretty churlish about this subject. A fundamentalist in his own way.

I probably share all three of the opinions about Simoun's ending that porous_shield mentions: sad, happy, and symbols of eternal innocence.

2. I'm afraid I react badly to a term like "New Age eco-nut propaganda." An objective consideration of our situation, based on the best (as far as I can judge) scientific opinion, reveals that we are in a pretty parlous state, using more resources than is sustainable, especially of petroleum, and contributing to climate change that will be very expensive for everyone and disastrous for some places in the world, which could end up underwater in some cases and rainless in others.

Not that I don't understand a distaste for unreasonability in all its forms. There are a lot of people (on both sides of the ecological debate) who generate more heat than light.

However, Wandering_Knight, for the sake of its beauty (and because I obviously agree with some of your taste), I'll look for Arjuna and see if I understand your negative feelings better after I've seen it, lol.

EDIT: Just watched ep1 of Arjuna, and I definitely see what you mean about beauty, even there. Great drawing and colors, for me. And maybe I see some of the environmental extremism -- visually linking pesticides and worm-like giant monsters that will destroy the earth. But the myth seems fairly glorious to me, so far.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-11-02 at 02:27.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote