View Single Post
Old 2010-11-07, 23:12   Link #42
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Wow, that sure was a change of pace from the last few eps. The intensity level was turned way down, but it was a welcome break - both from Kirino's obnoxious behavior and the heavy drama. This was like a whole different series - a wistful slice-of-life romance. It's nice to see a show that can pivot that sharply without losing a beat.
Agreed. I also think that this anime needed such a break.

Like yourself, I also think it was important to see Kyousuke in a less high octane/high intensity situation, so that we as the viewers would get a better sense of his more natural personality and demeanor.

As it pertains to him not fully realizing Manami's feelings for him, my sense is that Kyousuke is actually a pretty laid back and low-key sort of guy (the recent situations with Kirino and his dad really taking him out of his comfort zone), and he probably views his friendship with Manami as being a greatly desired place of relaxation for him. Romance, or at least romances when they are new, can be pretty intense, and I think that Kyousuke doesn't want to view Manami through that prism. She's his good, reliable, very easy-going friend that he can safely let his guard down with when around.

This episode was excellent, but it makes me feel sorry for both Kyousuke and Manami. Kyousuke would clearly be much better off if his family was more like Manami's, and at the same time, if his own home was a happier and more relaxing place for Kyousuke, perhaps he'd welcome a more intense (re: romantic) relationship with Manami. As is, Manami is currently stuck in the role of "dependable friend" when she clearly would like more than that.

Still, after seeing what his family (especially Kirino) puts Kyousuke through, it's not hard to see why Kyousuke would really just want to crash and relax at Manami's place. Him suggesting that maybe she come to his place next time is probably based on a desire for her calming presence (in his life) to perhaps spread to his home if she visits him there.

Edit: Kirino getting so upset over her brother being gone for awhile visiting a friend from school is interesting, and isn't terribly realistic as simply a matter of sisterly affection. A day or two without seeing one another wouldn't bother most siblings, in my experience (and in my experience with my own sisters growing up). I know that some have said that this anime will definitely not go with a serious incest romance, but man, the anime certainly gives a lot of hints that seem to lead to just that. Kirino's actions in this episode are much more like those of a jilted lover than like those of a sister missing her brother.