View Single Post
Old 2010-12-03, 20:44   Link #2366
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I suddenly imagined Aya Hirano voicing Ranka...and shuddered involuntarily.

And this is completely circumstantial, I know...but I've met more people here who know who Megumi is (and like her) than I have people who know who May'n is.
That's not very surprising though, May Nakabayashi as a singer has only performed a few songs for anime. She is not a seiyu and I don't think many people in anime circles (except Macross fans) will know of her. Megumi has at least had a few more performances as a seiyu. Aya Endo on the other hand, who voiced Sheryl, is one of the top names in the business.

It's slightly obscene how many top seiyu's voiced supporting characters in Frontier. Rie Tanaka, Kikuko Inoue and Ara Hirano, and each of them has their own fanbase. I'm not saying any of them would have gotten more out of Ranka (as I think her failings lie in her visual design), but maybe it would have helped Rankas popularity (in comparison to other anime characters of the time). Hirano's voice suits assertive characters better but Rie Tanaka (Lacus Clyne for example) would have definitely been a good choice. This is assuming the producers cared about character popularity at all.